This post contains affiliate links – if you click on these links and make a purchase I receive a commission.
What does going self-hosted mean?
When you start off blogging you’re probably using a free site, such as WordPress.com or Blogger. These sites are quick and easy to use to set up a basic site for your blog. But if you want to unlock more features to your blog and have it look more unique and professional, then this is where self-hosted comes in.
Self-hosted sites mean you have the control over your website, you can find a web host provider and work with them to create your site. You can have a custom domain that you have bought yourself and you can customise your site and make any changes you want to.
Why should you go self-hosted?
• You can have a lot more control over your blog. You can add a custom theme that doesn’t have to be bought from WordPress and can alter it to suit your needs.
• You can have a vast range of plugins to really let you mould your site to the way you want it. This includes adding analytics function to your site’s dashboard, including social media feeds on your blog and creating email subscriber lists.
• You can monetise your blog however you want, you’re not restricted by the rules and regulations of WordPress.com.
• Your blog will look more professional, standing out from the crowd with a custom-built theme and plugins to suit your readers.
• Depending on the company you choose to be your web host, you will have more access to support to aid your blog.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through one of the links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
How did I become self-hosted and why?
I wanted to become self-hosted because I wanted a customisable blog that I was in control of. I had seen plenty of blogger friends with beautiful sites and I wanted to be one of them, rather than the clunky site I was using via Wix. I was sick of my website’s constant bugs and the lack of support from Wix, so I looked for a solution.
I enquired online about sites that people used for their self-hosted blogs and one that really stuck out to me was Lyrical Host. These guys are a small business run online that agreed to help move my blog from Wix to WordPress. This was a BIG task and they managed it at a very reasonable cost and very promptly. The whole process was really exciting and I loved seeing my blog evolve into a much more professional and user-friendly site.
Who are Lyrical Host?
I wanted to offer a huge shout out to Lyrical Host throughout this blog post. They offer an amazing service and I couldn’t run my blog without them. Their support is so quick and thorough, they are always looking to offer the best they can and as a customer, I really appreciate that.
• Are speedy and efficient when answering any and all support tickets
• Go above and beyond to deliver the very best service
• Offer free resources and blog posts to help you
• Are very reasonably priced
• Are easy to use
• Work with charities and really value their customers.
You can use my affiliate link to join the Lyrical Host family and have them help you with your web hosting. They make the process so easy. They handle so many clients with different needs and offer packages on their website to suit everyone. I am on the Tiny package, for a small to medium-sized blogger I think this package is perfect, I don’t need any more than this and it covers the support for my blog too.
How do I feel now about my decision to go self-hosted?
Honestly, I am so glad I chose to do this. My blog has never been so popular, I’ve been able to really develop my writing and my posting schedule because of this new site. I know what I’m doing and how to customise parts of my website and if I don’t then the team at Lyrical Host are always on hand to help. I don’t think I could have picked a better website host.
On Lyrical Host’s website they say:
Spend less time worrying about hosting, and more time writing, planning, recording, collaborating, creating, sharing, developing. More time for what you love. Managed hosting without the usual managed hosting price tag.
I would say this is a 100% accurate statement. Lyrical Host has taken the pressure entirely off of my shoulders and have given me the perfect blog.
If you choose to go with Lyrical Host to help bring your blog to the next level and make it the best it can be, please consider using my affiliate link. This will help me to cover the costs of my very own blog so that I can keep writing posts for you lovely readers!