5 Book series I won’t be finishing

29/10/2018
Book series I will not finish

We all do it, we start a series, maybe we get a little excited, we buy the whole series before reading the first book. Then we start it and we hate it. It happens to the best of us. So here’s a list of series I will never get round to finishing.

1) Warcross, Marie Lu

The first book in this series was such a disappointment to me, I found it very boring and predictable. The story didn’t attempt to break the YA tropes at all, it was obvious from page one where it would go. With potential Ready Play One vibes, I thought this book could go a lot further than it did, it really didn’t live up to my expectations.

2) The Mortal Instruments, Cassandra Clare

I’m going to blame one hugely annoying character for my hatred of this series. Jace. I cannot stand him. Never have I disliked a character as much as I dislike him. He is so arrogant and up himself that I can’t see any further. I read Lady Midnight and loved it, so it’s such a shame I can’t get on with this series. I do however, fully intend to read The Infernal Devices series.

3) Six of Crows, Leigh Bardugo

This is a tricky one, because I’m not 100% sure I’ll never continue with this series. But for now, with all the other amazing books on my shelf, I’m not feeling inspired to pick up Crooked Kingdom. It’s on the verge of being deshelfed actually. I just didn’t love the first book, it was my first read from Leigh Bardugo so maybe that’s why? Should I have read the Grisha trilogy first?

4) Alex & Eliza, Melissa De La Cruz

I really wanted to like the second book in this series, Love & War, but for me it was a very flat and boring read. It didn’t have anything going for it and made me think this should have stayed as a one book series. I really enjoyed the first book, and whilst I recognise there was and is more of the story to be told, I don’t think it was needed for this particular adaptation.

5) The Queen of the Tearling, Erika Johansen

The first book in this series was very forgettable, I couldn’t tell you one thing that happened in it. I listened to it on audiobook, which usually means I remember more of the story. But I felt like this was a much longer book than it needed to be for the story it was telling. I have no interest in picking up the next books and finding out where it was going.

What book series are you leaving unfinished?

5 book series I won't be finishing

You Might Also Like

12 Comments

• Reply empirestateofreading 30/10/2018 at 2:49 am

You should absolutely read Crooked Kingdom! I had never read any Leigh Bardugo before Six Of Crows and while I found it a little hard to wrap my head around the world building at first and all the Grisha, I did really enjoy it. Crooked Kingdom is definitely a better read than SoC imo but I loved both.

• Reply BooksNest 02/11/2018 at 9:14 am

I just couldn’t get into the world if I’m honest, I may give it another go at some point, but for now I’m not too keen!

• Reply weenie 30/10/2018 at 12:49 pm

“I’m going to blame one hugely annoying character for my hatred of this series” – this!

A friend got me the series as a gift and I couldn’t get past the first book, although I did wonder if I was curious enough to see how the brother/sister thing would pan out, but no, there are far better books to spend my time reading! I’ve donated all the books now to charity.

• Reply BooksNest 02/11/2018 at 9:14 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one! It’s a shame how characters can spoil a book because I do like Lady Midnight, which features a lot less of said annoying character!

• Reply Jo 30/10/2018 at 2:40 pm

Definitely the same for me with The Mortal Instruments. I have all of the Rebel of the Sands collection but I just have no motivation to read them! I might give it some time and see if I can pick up the series again. And the Sin Eater’s Daughter – just not interested in reading the rest!

• Reply BooksNest 02/11/2018 at 9:15 am

I enjoyed the first one for Rebel of the Sands actually, was really well written and had some interesting characters. Haven’t gone any further than that in the series though yet!

• Reply Kelly 30/10/2018 at 6:33 pm

I completely agree with you when it comes to The Mortal Instruments. I hoped he would get better with the series but he never did. I’ve been tempted to pick it back up but it’s always because of him that I never have, which is annoying because there are so many other great characters within the series.
    I was going to start reading Six of Crows but was recommended to read the trilogy first otherwise certain things would not make sense in SoC. The trilogy is pretty good. I’m on the second book at the moment and it’s enjoyable.

• Reply BooksNest 02/11/2018 at 9:16 am

He’s so annoying isn’t he, total series ruiner for me. I always get slumped when I try to read another book in this series because he is just so arrogant and thinks he is the best. I can’t understand the appeal at all!

• Reply Misao 03/11/2018 at 4:17 pm

So happy to see someone who didn’t like warcross like me when so many people were raving about it. I’ll still give a chance to wildcard though because it’s a duology.
    You should read six of crows though it’s really good but you have to be in the mood 😊

• Reply BooksNest 04/11/2018 at 4:57 pm

Yay glad to find someone else who didn’t like it too! It just didn’t offer enough to me, it wasn’t exciting enough!

• Reply Jess Miller 08/11/2018 at 7:49 pm

Good call on Queen of the Tearling. It’s honestly got one of the worst endings I’ve ever read. Think ‘And Harry woke in his cupboard. It had all been a dream.’

• Reply BooksNest 09/11/2018 at 10:52 am

Yeah that was very nothing-esk for me I think!